International Antitrust and Competition Law and Policy
Basic U.S. Antitrust Law Resources
- Background Readings:
- Richard A. Posner, Antitrust Law (2d ed., Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2001). XXKF1649.P66 2001 D'Angelo Law Library, Reserve Reading Room.
- Herbert Hovenkamp, The Antitrust Enterprise: Principle and Execution (Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 2005). HF1414.H68 2005 Regenstein Bookstacks. See also review by Professor Randal C. Picker, 2 Competition Policy International 183 (2006)).
- Robert H. Bork, The Antitrust Paradox: A Policy At War with Itself (New York: Basic Books, 1978). D'Angelo Law, Bookstacks, Reserve, XXKF1649.B670.
- "Antitrust Policy" in 1 The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics and the Law (Peter Newman ed., 1998). D'Angelo Law, Reference, Reserve, XXK487.E3N49 1998.
- "Wex: Antitrust" (Legal Information Institute, Cornell University; legal dictionary and encyclopedia wiki)
- "Bibliography on Antitrust Law, Encyclopedia of Law and Economics (Boudewijn Bouckaert & Gerrit De Geest eds., Cheltenham, UK ; Northampton, MA : Edward Elgar, 2000). D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXK487.E3E53 2000. Online at http://encyclo.findlaw.com.
- Research Guides:
- Treatises: Areeda on Antitrust Law (Antitrust Law : An Analysis of Antitrust Principles and Their Application / Phillip E. Areeda, Donald F. Turner, Herbert Hovenkamp, John L. Solow; Boston: Little, Brown; 3d ed., New York: Aspen Publishers, 2006-)(D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1649.A8 2006); see also Antitrust Laws and Trade Regulation / Julian O. von Kalinowski, Peter Sullivan, Maureen McGuirl, and Ralph Folsom (New York: Matthew Bender, 1969- )(Business Organizations; v.16; multi-volume current updated looseleaf)(D'Angelo Law, Stacks, XXKF1645.V60) and Federal Antitrust Law: A Treatise on the Antitrust Laws of the United States / Earl W. Kintner, Joseph P. Bauer, William H. Page and William P. Kratzke (D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1649.K520)(multi-volume set). All these treatises are available online via LexisNexis.
- Hornbooks: Federal Antitrust Policy: The Law of Competition and Its Practice / Herbert Hovenkamp (D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1648.H682 2005); The Law of Antitrust: An Integrated handbook / Lawrence Anthony Sullivan and Warren S. Grimes (D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1649.S856 2006); see also Antitrust Law / Richard A. Posner (D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1649.P66 2001) and Fundamentals of Antitrust Law / Phillip E. Areeda, Herbert Hovenkamp (New York, NY: Aspen Law & Business, 2004-2006)(two-volume abridgment of the 18-volume Antitrust law treatise; D'Angelo Law, Reserve XXKF1649.A83).
- Nutshell: Antitrust Law and Economics in a Nutshell / Ernest Gellhorn, William E. Kovacic (West, 1994)(D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1652.G442 2004). See also An Antitrust Anthology / Andrew I. Gavil (Anderson Pub., 1996)(D'Angelo Law, Stacks, XXKF1649.A2A4160 1996) and Antitrust and Regulation (D'Angelo law, Bookstacks, XXK3850.Z9A58 1992).
- Casebooks: Cases and Materials Trade Regulation / Robert Pitofsky, Harvey J. Goldschmid, Diane P. Wood (5th ed., New York, N.Y. : Foundation Press, 2003)(University Casebook Series)(D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1608.P586 2003 & Supp. 2006); Antitrust Law in Perspective: Cases, Concepts, and Problems in Competition Policy / Andrew I. Gavil, William E. Kovacic, Jonathan B. Baker (St. Paul, MN : Thomson/West, c2002)(American Casebook Series)(D'Angelo Law, Stacks, XXKF1648.G380 2002).
- Practice Guides: Trying and Winning a Civil Antitrust Case: ALI-ABA Course of Study Materials (2006); Antitrust for Business Lawyers: Questions, Answers, Law, and Commentary (American Law Institute-American Bar Association Committee on Continuing Professional Education); Model Jury Instructions in Civil Antitrust Cases (2005- ); Criminal Antitrust Litigation Handbook (2006); Antitrust Compliance: Perspectives and Resources for Corporate Counselors (American Bar Association, 2005). Practising Law Institute (PLI) has several publications: Annual Antitrust Law Institute, Antitrust Litigation, Intellectual Property Antitrust, Advanced Antitrust Seminar, Antitrust Compliance Manual. See also ThomsonWest's Antitrust publications such as Corporate Counsel's Antitrust Deskbook (2005). Also Aspen Publishers' Antitrust Law publications.
- Dictionaries and Legal Encyclopedias: Black's Law Dictionary (D'Angelo Law, Reference, XXKF156.B532 1999), The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics and the Law (D'Angelo Law, Reference and Reserve, XXK487.E3N49 1998), Encyclopedia of Law and Economics (D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXK487.E3E53 2000).
- Looseleaf Services: CCH Trade Regulation Reporter (CCH Business and Finance - "Trade Regulation" tab)(D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1606.A2T73), BNA Antitrust and Trade Regulation Report (D'Angelo Law, Reserve, XXKF1642.A2B87)(includes e-mail alert service).
- Agencies: Antitrust Division, U.S. Department of Justice (http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/), Federal Trade Commission (http://www.ftc.gov/); Department of Justice Business Review Letters (http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/public/busreview/letters.htm).
- Journals and Newsletters: Antitrust Law Journal (ABA), Antitrust (ABA Section of Antitrust Law), Antitrust Bulletin, Andrews Antitrust Litigation Reporter (via WESTLAW); see also LexisNexis and WESTLAW customized news clipping services.
- Journal Databases: Hein On-Line, LexisNexis, WESTLAW (JLR database), LexisNexis Academic Universe, Ebsco Business Source Premier, JSTOR (economics, business, and finance e-journals).
- Journal Indexes: LegalTrac (also called Legal Resource Index and available via LexisNexis and WESTLAW), Index to Legal Periodicals (also on LexisNexis and WESTLAW), Current Index to Legal Periodicals (CILP)(also available on WESTLAW) or its customized e-alert version called SmartCILP, EconLit, EconBase, ABI-INFORM.
- Websites: Cornell, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, FindLaw, LexisNexis, WESTLAW, The Antitrust Case Browser.
- The Microsoft Case: U.S. v. Microsoft Case Filings (USDOJ Antitrust Division), FindLaw Microsoft News and Documents, Microsoft Legal News.
- Blogs: AntitrustProf Blog (Antitrust Law and Competition Policy)
- Current Awareness: Legal Scholarship Network: Antitrust Law and Policy, Microsoft Antitrust Case (SSRN lists), BNA's Antitrust and Trade Regulation Report, Andrews Antitrust Litigation Reporter (online via WESTLAW), The Antitrust Case Browser (includes recent antitrust headline news), FTC NewsNotes (e-mail list for FTC press release summaries), FTC: WATCH (newsletter available online via LexisNexis), ABA Section of Antitrust Law Discussion Groups (web page for subscribing and unsubscribing from 29 antitrust-related e-mail lists).
International Antitrust Resources
- New Horizons: Resources for International Competition Law Research (Jean M. Wenger, LLRX.com, March 27, 2005)
- Antitrust Law (Georgetown University E.B. Williams Law Library guide to researching foreign and international antitrust issues)
- Links (Section of Antitrust Law, American Bar Association)
- International Antitrust Law Links (Joachim Rudo, Attorney-at-Law; includes links to pages on German Antitrust Law, Austrian Antitrust Law, antitrust articles, and other foreign and international antitrust resources)
- Concurrence en ligne: Sites utiles (Jean-Pierre Blin; beware that this page has pop-up ads)
- QuickLinks: Competition (free e-mail newsletter about "legal and regulatory aspects of Internet and the information society, particularly those relating to information content, and market and technology"; a Yahoo! e-group)
- Competition Online (includes links to related websites, but not updated since 1999)
- PLC Competition Law (Practicallaw.com; Practical Law Company subscription database)
- Antitrust and Trade Law Committee (SLB-C; Section on Business Law, International Bar Association)
- Global Competition Forum (GCF; International Bar Association)
- International Competition Network (see also ICN's links to related sites)
- Competition and Consumer Policies (UNCTAD)
- Competition (OECD, including the Global Forum on Competition)
- Relevant Links (OECD
Competition Law and Policy; links to resources worldwide)
- Competition (European Commission's thematic page)
Directorate-General of the European Commission (was DG IV)
- Report on
Competition Policy (EU)
Competition Bodies Worldwide (DG IV links to other competition
Advisory Board on Competition Law (archived page of the Information Society LAB Website)
- Competition Policy (World Trade Organization (WTO))
Report (International Competition Policy Advisory Committee
(ICPAC), U.S. Department of Justice; disbanded in 2000))
- APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic
Cooperation) Competition Policy & Law Database (sponsored by the
Chinese Taipei Fair Trade Commission; includes information on
APEC member economies' competition policies and laws; has links to related websites)
Commercial Law Institute
(IWW, Germany; Institut für deutsches und europäisches Wirtschafts-, Wettbewerbs- und Energierecht, Freie Universität Berlin)
Major Non-U.S. Works on Antitrust and Competition Law
- Australia: Competition Law in Australia / Coronoes, S. (Sydney : LBC, 1999); see also Annotated Competition Policy Law and Practice / Miller, R. (Sydney : LBC, 2000) and 25 Years of Australian Competition Law / Steinwall, R.; Fels, A.; Baxt, R. et al. (Sydney : Butterworths, 2000). And Australian Restrictive Trade Practices and Consumer Protection, 1960-1977: A Bibliography of Materials... / Fong, Colin (Sydney: University of Sydney, Faculty of Law, 1977).
- New Zealand: Guidebook to New Zealand Competition Laws /
Yvonne van Roy (2d ed. Auckland [N.Z.] : CCH New Zealand, 1991); see also Competition Law and Policy in New Zealand / Rex J. Ahdar ed. (Sydney : Law Book Co., 1991), Competition Law at the Turn of the Century : A New Zealand
Perspective / Mark N. Berry and Lewis T. Evans eds. (Wellington [N.Z.] : Victoria University Press, 2003), and Competitive Trading in New Zealand : The Commerce Act 1986 / Bernard M. Hill and Mark R. Jones (Wellington, N.Z. : Butterworths, 1986).
Created on 17 April 2000 by Lyonette Louis-Jacques, Foreign
and International Law Librarian and Lecturer in Law, University of
Chicago D'Angelo. Please send information concerning resources in
print and electronic format related to antitrust and competition law
worldwide and in any language to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated on 19 April 2007.